Monday 23 June 2014

Winter Solstice

We are in our 4th week of winter and today is to be our first 'miserable' winters' day. (I love it)  June has been quite warm this year. Here is Australia (I guess because its easier), our seasons do not change with the solstice,  but by month. Other wise we would just be commencing winter now.  July is mid winter, but from here the days are also getting longer as we head into mid winter. You try and make sense of it all because I certainly can't. (now my brother will only work on the solstice)

I am still in running slow mode, cannot seem to pick up my act,  (hence) this is a day late already.  Yesterday (Sunday) I went to a lunch with for a 92 year old. A wonderful man, father of 6 and still a caring husband.  They are both in a nursing home on respite at present and they will possibly stay but both apparently have settled in well.

I am easily becoming distracted these days, I am not sure if it is something I have always had but am only just starting to notice or it is a new phenomenon but I am finding it bothersome.  I really do not have time to lose time!  So I started reading some motivational literature and decided to make up a list of ways I can use to be less distracted.

1.      Make a list (you will note that I am even writing this in list form).  I often start my lists for the week on Sunday labelled under each day of the week.  I used to do this when the children were small and before, I can remember making lists for holidays made up into each room I would need to cover whilst away + food.  Then refine your list for each day whilst having breakfast.
2.      Once your list is made, prioritise the most important at the top down the least important.  I find if I do not complete the most important or urgent first then they may not be done!
3.      Take breaks regularly and treat yourself every now and then (even bribe yourself if it helps).
4.      Know when to give up (walk away). If it becomes too much of a challenge, taking up too much time and not achieving anything then it may be more economical to walk away and hire or ask someone else to assist.  I find particularly when sewing that whilst it is going well with some tasks it is fantastic BUT once it starts to go wrong then I LOSE interest very quickly.

5.      Work somewhere where there are no distractions.  (easier said than done)

I hope these help, I shall have to keep reading this list to ensure I keep on track.
.  Do you have some ideas that work for you? Let us all know here or on my   https://www.facebook.com/craftmadeeasy

This week I have quite an eclectic selection for every one this week. I hope you enjoy and find some use from the collection. So let's start with the:


Turkey Meatballs with Romano Cheese and HerbsCrowd-Pleasing Turkey Meatballs  By: Kalyn from Kalyn's Kitchen
I have not tried these, but will as soon as I go shopping again as the store I use always has turkey mince available and it will make a difference from beef.  Turkey is a healthier low fat meat that we should be all making more use off and it is out there waiting to be bought.
 
The only caution here is that it calls for a product named hemp seed or hemp hearts which I do not think is available in Australia and I could not find out much about it. On the recipe page I have adapted the recipe to metric is you do not want to use Kalyn's recipe.  It is obviously American, but they are the ones who use so much turkey.
 
Crossed Stitch Headband with Flower Applique - Free Crochet Pattern: Written Instructions and Crochet Chart #freecrochetpattern #crochet #myhobbyiscrochetHere's a nifty little trick for finishing your crochet ... the invisible join! It looks just like a stitch, so it’s virtually impossible to tell where the final join and fasten off was made.This week the main area I want to cover is crocheting for fetes and fundraisers.  September - November will see fete time and we have all winter to prepare. so here is a site that will cover some of these.

http://www.pinterest.com/allfreecrochet/blogger-crochet-patterns-we-love/

And for those who prefer knitting, I found this bonnet making site - more for interest that taking up I think, gorgeous bonnets but not my cup of tea I'm afraid.  If you go to the internet address you will find some truly beautiful bonnets and who knows, you might find a new hobby.




Knit Bath MittsAnother craft for this week is knitting Bath Spa Mitts.

These will make wonderful gift(s) for family and friends at Christmas OR again for that fete stall later in the year.  Package it with home made bath salts (will cover soon), a pretty soap, comb.  So much can be added to make this a wonderful gift.





Pretty Plastic Spoon Flower Garland   By: Pauline from Club Chica Circle
Children could help prepare for an upcoming party, your stall at the fair, or just decorating your garden.  This is a great activity for the kids
Pretty Plastic Spoon Flower Garland

Have found a great site which has a STAIN BUSTER GUIDE to it.  It is great.   The guide is on a site called 'all about you' and has everything on it.  Well worth bookmarking or adding to favourites.    http://www.allaboutyou.com/


There is hardly any money interest in art, and music will be there when money is gone.
quotes by Duke Ellington  Duke Ellington

It is the same for CRAFT, there is definitely no money in it!

Have a great week everyone and I shall be far more cheerful by next week.
  God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment