Sunday 29 June 2014

"Christmas" in July.

While having my hair cut on Wednesday (25 TH June) the cutter reminded all within earshot that it was 6 months until Christmas.  Collectively, everyone moaned and said 'where has this year gone?'  I am not saying time flies but as you get older and take longer to complete tasks it does seem to be not enough hours in the day. Then, you open the entertainment sections of the daily papers or ads on TV and there are the Christmas in July as money makers for so many establishments. (I do remember holding a Mid year Christmas as a fund raiser when my children were at school - not many people were buying it then, I hope they are still not buying it.) To me it is another commercial time of the year where the shops tend to 'try' to make more money out of a non specific date.  However, just in case some of you wish to participate, or maybe want to get an early start on December (like I do) I have included two crafts in craft of the week.

Yesterday I had 4 of my grandchildren and parents to lunch and I made it a finger food child friendly lunch and they loved it and took home plenty of left overs.  Particularly  my sausage rolls which they love.  (Recipe coming soon - like when I  remember to take an artistic photo!)  Also, I did make the turkey meatballs from last week, without the 'hemp' and herbs,  instead I added 1/4 cup seasoning mix (which has the herbs).  Delicious and popular.  

With some school holidays already commenced and the remainder starting next week it is time to work out what I am doing with my little lovelies.  Grand daughter no 2 is coming the first Monday with her second / third cousin and I may have her older brother that day too as he will sit quietly on the computer ( his ideal day, which he doesn't do at home, it is a treat!) except for meal breaks whilst the girls will play, chat and craft together beautifully.  To make life a little easier I may have the 5 year  old and his little sister together for a few hours only as I do not think they can cope with much more, they find our home too quiet for any length of time.  even their own noise does nothing to make them feel happier!  I am still not sure which craft I am going to undertake, possibly knitting.  I am taking the three older grandchildren to the movies - 'RIO 3' is the choice as it is suitable for all age groups and genders. I am always interested in what other parents / grandparents are up to in the holidays because I find it all quite a challenge each time due to mobility.  Please keep me informed.

Craft wise I am nearly finished the shrug I am making Grand daughter No 1.  I tried it against her yesterday and she was thrilled, especially with the yarn choice.  I do not like the pattern and it is difficult at times due to type of yarn and size of hook.  However, when it comes to making one for her sister I will use the measurement and write my own pattern.  I am not even sure I like the colours, however, I bought so much they will be wearing it for years.  (Unless I sell it on Ebay!!)
Grandma's Classic Peanut Butter Cookies


Well onto this weeks activities, 
Recipe of the Week
Something not so healthy but most enjoyable with a cuppa at this cool time of the year.  Also a recipe you can make with the kids whilst on school holidays.
Grandma's Classic Peanut Butter Cookies


Craft (s) of the Week
Crochet Wreath Pattern   By: 
Embossed Soda Can Snowsicles Crochet Wreath Pattern       

Embossed Soda Can Snowsicles    By: 

A great way to save money is to recycle and this is a great recycling of drink cans.  (Although in South Australia we recycle anyway, they are worth 10c each at the recycling centre.)
Craft Stick Snowman Head

Craft Stick Snowman Head   By: 

 We may as well let the children undertake a Christmas Activity too.  
This is a great activity for children on holidays 









Some of this is for Sth Australia only, other is national and even more is international.  

Events in July
·  1-31 July 2014 Dry July
·  7-13 July 2014 NAIDOC Week
·  13-19 July 2014 National Diabetes Week
·  25 July 2014 School Trees Day
·  27 July 2014 National Tree Day
·  27 July - 2 August 2014 National Missing Persons Week
               28 July 2014 World Hepatitis Day

I find it rather interesting that July is known as 'Dry July' and at the end of the month we have World Hepatitis Day.

DIVERSITY BY SHEP   MAY 28 – JULY 31, 2014

Fox Creek Cellar Door Gallery  

A selection of landscapes, seascapes and contemporary work by Neil Sheppard AKA Shep

MCLAREN VALE WEDDING EXPO – SERAFINO MCLAREN VALE











Garden-of-Eden-for-Adelaide-Review-(3-of-6)

Friday Nights at FFG 
July 4 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm

We are open every Friday night from…

No comments:

Post a Comment