Sunday 12 October 2014

Final Term of School for 2014

Tomorrow the 4Th term of the school year commences here in South Australia and it is always such a busy term.  I have a grandson and a nephew finishing their primary school life at the end of the year and will be having differing celebrations at the end of the year as they farewell their primary years.  My grandson doesn't enjoy school very much (not as much as his younger brother and sister anyway, nor my nephew of the same age). I feel he is really looking forward to high school, has had a day of visiting the school (and I am pleased as it is where I went to high school) and likes what he has seen.
It is a big adjustment changing schools and going from being the oldest children in the school and having a certain level of responsibility to transferring to high and being a very small fish in a big pond again. However, we all have done it and we are still here to talk about it, but you do have to feel for them and worry about them, especially when it is your adored grandson.

This week four of my grandchildren came for a sausage sizzle and we had one of the great nieces here too. A great day was had by all.  As usual my great niece and my grand daughter were inseparable and crafted most of the day using the loom bands and frames.  Luckily I bought a frame last weekend with bands etc and therefore both girls were able to have their own.
The other three played beautifully, ate well and went home very happily.  Leaving behind little mess but a very contented and tired grandma and great granny. 

I am still very busy making Christmas Cards and 40  more will go on E bay later this week.  I still need to place inserts in a few and I am also making many gift sized cards (these are all varying sizes) and some will have written word inserts whilst others will just have a stamp.  These are going to be sold in assorted groups of 5.  Trying to assess cost always bothers me. Does anyone have any idea as to how to handle this task and make it fair to bother buyer and seller (maker)
I have included some hints from the Creative Income website for everyone this week.  I hope it helps some of you. I am debating (with myself) as to whether to open an E bay store, this way I can sell more on the site.  However, can I keep up with supply? I need to do some deep thinking.

Anyway, enough of my musings, lets look at white I have found this week to hopefully make life a little more interesting or at least easier.
I am focusing much more on Christmas, and will do so for a few weeks now.  This year I am going to look at gifts to make  whether it be craft or food and also whether it be for adults or children,
I hope you like the input I am  placing here for the next few weeks.  Happy Crafting!

Recipe(s) of the Week:

1.  TraditionalChristmas Cake  (from http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9824/traditional+christmas+cake)

2. Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole from http://www.slowcookeradventures.com/2011/02/chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole.html
Also, to make life a little easier I am placing a slow cooker meal for you to make for the family whilst working on your Christmas goodies. The Slow Cooker recipe is: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
On the recipe page I will also include some of the comments left by others who have used this recipe.

Craft(s) of the Week:

1. Monogrammed Mugs    By: Amberfrom Crazy Little Projects

After monogramming the mugs you can fill them with chocolates, nuts or home-made goodies.  A beautiful gift for anyone, but particularly for teachers, work staff or someone special in your life.

2.   Small gift bag
Small Crocheted Gift Bag

These are a great idea for Christmas gifts for people, crochet a small gift bag (that can be hung on the Christmas tree and place a lip balm, tube of sweets, home made fudge or biscuits and everyone is thrilled.  People really enjoy the personal touch.

http://anastaciaknitsfreepatterns.wordpress.com/2008/12/16/small-gift-bag/


Children's Crafts:
Lego Advent Calendar
Lego Advent Calendar     By: Gina from Willowday

This is awesome. A great idea and most households have heaps of Lego that can be used. 
Materials: Mixed Media/Miscellaneous
Age Group: Preschool & Kindergarten, Elementary School, Pre-Teens
Time to complete: Under 30 minutes


Helpful Hints:

This week I am including some useful information from a great website called Creative Income.
The two main areas for this week are:
1. Handmade Selling: 5 Tips for Staying Positive During the Slow Times
2. Year-Round Craft Show Best Sellers

I hope you find this useful.

A Christmas Saying to start to get you in the mood:

Andy Rooney
“One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly."
~ (1919-), Amer
ican writer, producer, humorist. ”
― Andy Rooney

No comments:

Post a Comment