Saturday 25 May 2013

Black Tea




Different Types of Tea:

(I said this would be a big chapter, and it is, but I have decided to break it up a little, makes it easier for me. So, I hope you will persevere with me.  I only hope that no-one is in a hurry to read this story on tea as it is going to be prolonged.  It is such a big subject.)

After my research I have come to the conclusion that there are not as many varieties as I thought.  There are many blends that come under a FEW varieties.
The main headings for TEA are:

  1. Black
  2. Oolong
  3. Green
  4. White
Then there are many blends etc under these headings.  The herbal teas / tisanes will be discussed separately. 

Courtesy of Wikipedia

1.  BLACK TEA



  • Is more oxidised and stronger in flavour than the other teas.
  • In Chinese, "black tea" is a classification for post-fermented teas such as Pu-erh tea and rooibos (will talk about this later)
  • Retains its flavour for several years
  • Accounts for over 90% of all tea sold in the west.
  • usually graded on one of four scales of quality
  • Whole leaf teas are highest quality, followed by the broken leaves,
  • Whole leaf teas are produced with little or no alteration to the tea leaf
  • Whole leaf teas are widely considered the most valuable, especially if they contain leaf tips.
  • Broken leaves are commonly sold as medium grade loose teas
  • Smaller broken varieties may be included in tea bags.
  • Leaves are oxidised  under controlled temperature  & humidity- called fermentation
  • level of oxidation determines the quality of the tea.
  • Then the leaves are dried to arrest the oxidation process.
  • Finally, the leaves are sorted into grades according to their sizes
  • Brewing of black tea varies around the world and we will discuss differences at a later date, along with serving of the tea.
  • Popular varieties of black tea include Assam, Nepal, Darjeeling, Nilgiri, Turkish & Ceylon teas

Black Tea


Black Tea




Pictures courtesy of
Wikipedia 







"Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? how did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea."      Sydney SmithLady Holland's Memoir (1855), Vol. I. P. 383.

                  





No comments:

Post a Comment