Monday 21 July 2014

The first sno-drops

My first sno-drops are out in the garden which indicates that we have passed mid winter and on our way to Spring.  Sno-drops are so delicate and perfect and such a great symbol new life. However, it is still very cool this morning and very wet underfoot.  I love seeing all the bulbs emerging and declaring their arrival with a wonderful display.  Many years ago I had many bulbs in the ground but over the years we seemed to have lost most.  There are still a few freesias, (mostly yellow) a few jonquils (not flowering), a couple of daffodils and many pretty blue star-flowers.  At least with Sno-drops they tend to spread each year, just a little but enough.  With my limited mobility I cannot do much about it, maybe next year I will try potting a few bulbs and see if I have much success.

The school holidays have ended and I have tried to teach three children to crochet with virtually NO SUCCESS.  The 8 and 7 year old are still trying and yesterday my grand-daughter brought out her work to show me and for me to assist and show her again.  I applaud her perseverance and enthusiasm and will naturally continue to work with her.  My 4 year old great niece asked to learn to , but only gave it a short try before she didn't like the colour of the wool and would rather play with the tea set.  I applaud her decision too.  Then this morning I found this article and wish I had seen it at the commencement of the school break.  It is called: http://blog.lionbrand.com/2012/02/16/7-tips-for-teaching-kids-how-to-knit-or-crochet/  It should have been a lesson learned for me. I will read it carefully before teaching any more crocheting to the young people in our family.  

It has been a horrific week for the world and we all mourn the loss of so many lives in the shooting down of the Malaysian Airlines Plane. Up until now most of us have watched with little thought as to what is happening in the Ukraine and possibly feel sympathy for one side or the other but as it is so far away it doesn't concern us.  However due to the horrific actions of 3 days ago it has become our concern as many innocent Australians, (men, women & children), Doctors and scientists working with AIDS (only doing GOOD in the world) and many other innocents have died.  The world should be outraged at the way the site has been destroyed by the rebels with NO respect for the bodies lying on the ground. Also, this week it came as a surprise / shock - but shouldn't have that Australians are fighting for Al Qaeda, Syria or ISIS.  I just wonder how they can come back to their country of birth or adoption and face their family and friends in the face.  Now I am being naive I suppose. However, while just as a few (and out of 22 million it is only a few) Muslim radicals are involved in this fighting there are so many more Muslims who just want to live a safe and happy life in Australia.  Who are we to make their life harder, when did we all become so perfect that we can judge?


Off my soapbox now and on to this weeks activities.  

Beef and Noodle Casserole      (no picture this week)

Creamy beef and noodle casserole is the perfect way to feed a family of four. This dish uses very simple, budget-friendly ingredients and is a crowd pleaser every time.

A follow up on Turkey Mince - am trying to use it more in my recipes, made Bolognaise sauce with it this week.  Mum still doesn't know that it is not beef.


How To Make A Microwave Heating Bag:
I always make my own, normally out of heavy cotton material you would find in furnishings, like heavy curtain material.  If making as a gift I make them out of calico and then make a washable cover too. Usually I use wheat but having seen rice as an alternative, I bought a kilo bag of long grain white rice.  I had dried lavender that I hadn't use so I included it in the bag too. I do not use and electric blanket and I place the armed wheat bag between the sheets for a couple of minutes and then it goes under my most painful part whilst I try to sleep.

Children's Activity


4 Ways Yarncrafting Can Help Kids Heading Back to School

August 10th, 2012  


'Recently it’s become popular to introduce teens and children to yarncrafts as they head back to school; it’s been seen that crafting has numerous benefits that can help all ages during times of stress. Plus, taking a little time to relax can be helpful for kids and adults, particularly when you take some time to enjoy a hobby you love together. 



Quotes of the Week:

A very appropriate quote from a remarkable man.  
 Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. –Steve Jobs

The beautiful Fleurieu

Mount Lofty Ranges World Heritage Bid

World-class wine producing regions McLaren Vale along with the Adelaide Hills, Barossa Valley and Fleurieu Peninsula are working together under the Mount Lofty Ranges Agrarian Landscape World Heritage Bid umbrella to nominate for World Heritage listing.

Have a great week every one and enjoy your life and your loved ones.  


No comments:

Post a Comment