Sunday 1 June 2014

Winter has arrived!

Welcome to another week, month and season.  It is already wet and cool (not cold, yet)!I love winter and am already relishing the last few days, I know, I am a strange person.  It usually stimulates me to activity far more than summer.  Last week I spent some lovely time with my newest grand daughter, her beautiful sister and their wonderful Mum (who is doing so well). I have completed another jacket  for baby and have now started crocheting for the older grand daughters.The yarn I am using for the older girls is just beautiful and although looks thin is crocheting up into a really warm material.  Again, it is from ICE Yarns and it is a 'boucle mohair light'.  If into knitting and crocheting then I really suggest a look at ICE Yarns.  Whilst the postage is high (you do have a choice), but cost of postage combined with cost of yearn still works out very well with prices of good yarn in Australian shops. An added bonus is the quality of the yarn and the speed of service.I have found stacks of goodies for everyone this week and am really thrilled with what popped up in my mail box this week.  Besides all the usual goodies I have two more other titbits this week.  1.  Many of you will know by now that I am a chronic pain sufferer and this week I have joined a link to a 'chronic pain website'.  I have included the link here in case anybody else in pain would like to join or seek advice.2.  The 2014 Bank SA McLaren Vale Sea and Vines Festival commences next weekend.



Osso bucoRisotto alla milanese





Recipe(s) of the Week

This w
eek there are TWO recipes because they go so well together and are the best to eat..  Taste (http://www.taste.com.au/) produced both recipes and I have great joy in re-directing you back to both.  Each winter I make Osso Bucco a few times and always enough to freeze a couple of meals.  There  is nothing more warming on a winter night than this recipe.  The only difference from this to my recipe is that I would cook mine in the slow cooker all day on LOW once up to temperature.  Also, I don't always make the gremolata as I am the only one who likes it but I do recommend you try it as it really livens up an already beautiful dish and makes it perfect.
The second recipe is Risotto alla milanese. In a recipe book I use regularly on Italian food it says that this risotto is the only one permitted to be served with the Osso Bucco.  Usually polenta is served as a side dish.  So go to Taste and follow these wonderfully simple, tasty recipes that will bring you back for more.     

Turquoise Potato Bead BraceletCraft of the Week
   Turquoise Potato Bead Bracelet   
This is awesome.  Do you a couple of spare potatoes (I know they are expensive at present).  Follow these great instructions on my craft page and you will have a new piece of jewellery.  Fantastic!



Chic Crochet Beanie


We love to make items for the little people in our lives.  My grand daughters love any accessory I may make for them.  Some put in requests each year as to what they want.  Scarves, mittens / gloves and hats are made quickly, can use up scraps of yarn and are very rewarding to both the maker and the receiver.  This is a really a cute little pattern.

Childrens Craft

Toilet Paper Roll GardenToilet Paper Roll Garden   By: Leslie from Pink Stripey Socks
Recycling is always great for everyone.  Create a mix of cardboard cacti and flowers to create a Toilet Paper Roll Garden that's truly unique.   

Materials: Recycled Crafts, Painting & Colouring
Age Group: Toddlers, Preschool & Kindergarten, Elementary School


Every failure, obstacle or hardship is an opportunity in disguise. Success in many cases is failure turned inside out. The greatest pollution problem we face today is negativity. Eliminate the negative attitude and believe you can do anything. Replace 'if I can, I hope, maybe' with 'I can, I will, I must.' 

-Mary Kay Ash                                                     
 My Beautiful Fleurieu  


BANK  SA  MCLAREN  VALE  SEA  AND  VINES  FESTIVAL
6th, 7th, 8th & 9th June 2014
One week until the party starts!

I found this the other day.  All relevant to South Australia and may be important to the local viewers of this site.
Tweets from @SAcommunity
South Australian Tourism Commission We keep information flowing by sharing daily via Twitter on topics of interest to the community - you can help by following and retweeting! 
Mindshare online mental health community -  art, poetry, photos, music, stories
Black Cockatoo Arthouse - pop up arthouse cinema & music  (McLaren Vale)
Semaphore Bowling Club - night owls and social bowls
Community Visitors Scheme - befriend an older person
Henley & Grange Arts Society - painting, ceramics, glass
Adelaide Rep Theatre August: Osage County 19-28 June
Toyota Landcruiser Club of SA - recreational four wheel driving
Passa Tempo Programs - for older frail people of Italian background
Want to volunteer? Over 1000 volunteer positions available here! 
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander events from @MATSITI
Maltese Guild of SA - social support for aged members, Bingo, cards
Events in June
·  1-30 June 2014 Bowel Cancer Awareness Month                                        
Government of South Australia·  5 June 2014 World Environment Day
·  7 June 2014 National Whale Day
·  8 June 2014 World Oceans Day
·  9-15 June 2014 International Men's Health Week
·  14 June 2014 World Blood Donor Day
·  15-21 June 2014 Refugee Week
·  20 June 2014 World Refugee Day

And LASTLY The Chronic Pain Website:  

NPW14 - 'Pain is Ageless' - 21-27 July  

CPA2-logoThe theme for National Pain Week this year is 'Pain is Ageless'. Chronic pain affects people across the lifespan, but there may be differences in the pain experience at different times in our lives. The updated National Pain Week website will be live very soon. We invite you to be involved in some of the planned NPW14 activities:
       
http://www.chronicpainaustralia.org.au/                               

I hope everyone has a great week, one that is busy and filled with love and support, but always finding time for relaxation and craft.   Talk again soon.     

No comments:

Post a Comment