Sunday 23 March 2014

Preparing for Easter

I was going to go off on a political bent this week due to my frustration at the election last week in South Australia but have decided against it as I do not want to make this a political page.  I want it to be a happy place away from the every day problems and able to focus on all things family, craft, hobbies and occasionally sport.  Just let me remind every one that South Australia is such a wonderful picturesque state and has so many great qualities, such as when you are in Adelaide, you are never far from the beaches, hills, wine regions, great food and magnificent scenery.

Vintage is nearly over here on the Fleurieu which means everything will settle down to a slightly less frenetic pace.  I miss the old days of vintage with the tractors dragging a tray of grapes to the wineries. these days there are big trucks flying down the road at a frantic pace towards the winery of choice.  we also have lost the large intake of harvest workers as much is picked by mechanical pickers which pick in the cool of the night - not quite the same atmosphere.  The two main old wineries in the middle of the town are no longer there or not crushing any more and the crushing is taking place in wineries out of the town so we do not even get the sweet musty smell of the grapes any longer.  All in the name of change!

I am going to focus on Easter  now for the next few weeks as it can be an exciting time,  particularly for children and for faith filled Christians.  When I was a little fitter I used to spend most of the first 48 hours in church and loved it all.  Now I am unable to go I still pause to think of and thank Jesus for all he has brought us and hope he understands why I am not going to Mass (I am sure he does)  Now I have to think of other ways to make use of this 4 day break.  Many Australians go away for the few days, many are not interested in the true meaning of Easter or why we have this time off & I find this sad.  However it is a good time to plan for winter here in Australia, and prepare your crafts, garden beds, clothing, visit the many markets held over this time.

Recipe of the Week:                      Porcupine Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

This recipe is an absolute favourite in this household and with most children I know.  It also freezes well so make a double amount and have a meal ready for another night in the future when you are short of time or need an easy night.  I always serve it with lashings of mashed potato and a good serve of peas.
I have taken this recipe from: http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2009/03/day-62-porcupine-meatballs.html  and made a few changes applicable to Australia and me.  This recipe also comes with some alternatives, 
1. Using Marinara sauce
2. Using a Mushroom sauce

Craft of the Week:                           Cotton Candy Cap  By: Ann Regis
I am getting orders from grandchildren as to what they want this winter and may grand-daughter No 1 wants a pink hat and mittens, so I have bought the yarn and am about to commence.  I also want to make little shrugs for all the girls and another couple of items for my newest grand daughter due in May.  So I have much to do.  With this I wish to keep up with my cross stitching which keeps me calm.

This will require much adult help, but it is worth it.  I remember it well as a small child.  I was staying with my Aunt as my mother was very ill and when I got home from school, I went with my aunt as usual to collect the eggs and the excitement when I found coloured eggs in the nests.  My aunt had been very busy while I was at school! RIP Auntie.  




Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in

Rita Rudner

No comments:

Post a Comment