Sunday 12 January 2014

Mid January and the south is HEATING up!

Well, not far into January and what a week ahead!  Here in South Australia it is going to be 40 degrees C nearly all week.  I LOATHE the heat but have a very busy week ahead so will not be able to avoid being out in it. My car air conditioning is not working so it will be a most uncomfortable week ahead and while I can put off a couple of events, the school holidays are running out and I still need my time with the grand children.  Where have all those weeks gone?  Lots of ice-cream ahead in this week of heat for grand children and me I think...

My 81 year old Mum has had a long time friend staying for a few days and it has been most enjoyable.  The friend lives in Proserpine in Queensland and due to age doesn't get down here much any more, (she is from SA and has a son here) It has been a fairly restful and very peaceful few days with the two older ladies just quietly chatting and me quietly feeding them.  We did have take-away one night, but on Friday night I made a Beef Stew that was wonderful, I had found the recipe on-line and had to try it and it will be recipe of the week as I (& my Mum & visitor) enjoyed the smell of it cooking and the wonderful taste at the end.

I have been testing a craft for 6 & 7 year old girls as I am having Grand daughter number 1 and her second cousin this week and they always like to get busy with the craft.  This is a great little craft and you can use up excess threads, yarns etc.  Once the girls start I will take a couple of pictures to post for you to see.  I have started off using left over (cheap & nasty) embroidery cotton and I think it might be to thin for the girls as it becomes quite tedious and slow, so will look for something a little thicker in my craft leftovers.  However, the concept is great and the girls can even take home a woven bracelet each at the end of the day.

A craft for adults this week I haven't researched as yet, but I am commencing cross stitch again in readiness for more card making in a few weeks time.  Cross stitching is always something I come back too because it is pretty (People always admire it and seem to love to receive my cross stitched cards).
I cross stitched about 20 tea towels before Christmas and gave one to each female on my list.  However, I have several left over and am going to sell some on eBay and Gumtree.  I am going to include pictures here today of some of the items I have available at present.

Recipe of the Week:   Classic Beef Stew
It serves 6, takes about 2 hours to keep,                    Classic Beef Stew
is economical to make and is Diabetic friendly.     

Craft of the Week:    Cross Stitching

How to Cross Stitch:  This site will take you across
all aspects of cross stitching far better than I can.        
I hope you enjoy and learn to love Cross stitching
as much as I do.





Children's Craft:     woven friendship bracelet


It is relatively easy to set up, I am making sure I know what to do before they come so I am not getting confused once here.  I am really enjoying this craft and you can talk, watch TV or what ever whilst making these.



Thought for the Week:       
The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.
Confucius 


  • Confucius
    Philosopher

  • Confucius was a Chinese teacher, editor, politician, and philosopher of the Spring and Autumn period of Chinese history. Wikipedia


  • Born551 BC, Lu

  • Died479 BC, Lu

  • Full nameKong Qiu                                                

  • Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_motivational.html#hGQo8updrUOz0ipV.99


    Some of my tea towels I have made:  They are:70 cm long and 45.5 cm wide.
    The cross stitched is backed so it doesn't catch and undo.  They all have an Australia floral or fauna item stitched one end of tea towel.  Am sorry about the quality of pictures.  My photography (or camera) needs some work.





    The first picture is a parrot, the second is a native blossom, the next is a kookaburra and lastly a platypus.

    More photos next week.  Enjoy your week ahead and for those in southern Australia - KEEP COOL!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment