Thursday 7 November 2013

Friday - phew! made it again.

Friday is always changing for me.  I can be frantically busy or have a lovely day at home catching up on work and preparing for the weekend.  Today is a mixture of both.  I have a very early start as my elderly Mum is heaving an arthroscopy on her knee today and needs to be at the local hospital by 8 am.  She so thoroughly enjoyed having her other knee operated on 12 months ago (it was like a social catch-up for her and she did really well after, so I hope this one goes as well for her...and me.)

So as I am up early I may as well fit as much in as possible before I collect her and am the responsible person for her for the following 24 hours.  It is also Grandson No 2's 5th birthday so whilst Mum is in hospital I will go and visit this most darling little boy.


Happy birthday my darling boy, I know how excited you will be.



I also have a few other tasks to undertake whilst out and about but it should be quite a pleasant day.  I hope yours is too.




The recipe I have chosen for Thank God its Friday is:

Potato and Parmesan Cakes

(Apologies, could not upload picture, but look delicious, I had hoped to make these  today as Mum loves Potato Cakes and Parmesan is an absolute favourite with her and do not even  mention CAPERS.  Thought it would be a nice treat after her day in hospital.  However, I forgot to buy capers and potatoes.  )
These little cakes make a nice change from mashed potatoes.

INGREDIENTS

§                     750 g baking potatoes peeled and cut into 2.5 cm chunks
§                     1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
§                     1 large egg yolk
§                     salt and freshly ground black pepper
§                     3 tbsp all-purpose flour
§                     vegetable oil for frying
§                     1 tbsp capers
§                     lemon wedges, to serve


DIRECTIONS

1.                  Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain well. Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer into a bowl. (Alternatively, rub through a sieve.)
2.                  Add the Parmesan and egg yolk, season generously with salt and pepper, and mix. Divide into 8 equal balls and flatten into little cakes, each 2in (5cm) in diameter. Spread the flour in to a plate, and season with salt and pepper. Coat the potato cakes in the flour and refrigerate until needed.
3.                  Pour enough oil into a frying pan to come ⅛ in (3mm) up the sides and heat over medium heat. In batches, add the potato cakes and fry for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

4.                  Increase the heat to high. Add the capers and fry for about 45 seconds, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Place the potato cakes on a platter, sprinkle with the capers, and serve with lemon wedges.


Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy all you do particularly time with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment